Monday, July 16, 2012

"I AM A HomoLOVEual!"

I did a presentation on LGBTQ History last week at Highways Performance Space in Santa Monica, California, as part of a multi-person lineup, and after the show one of the audience members, Ali, came up and thanked me for sharing this:

When we talk about sex in our puritanical culture, it freaks everybody out.  So when we talk about being homoSEXuals, and we fight for our homoSEXual rights, and we want our homoSEXual history to be known, all anybody's hearing is SEXXXXXX.

What if we talked about LOVE instead?

What if we had the media call us "HomoLOVEuals?"

What if we fought for our homoLOVEual rights?

Our homoLOVEual history?

Wouldn't it change everything?

Ali and me

It made a huge impression on Ali.  He asked if he could take his photo with me (he emailed me a copy of it, above) and told me proudly that I could quote him:


"I AM A HomoLOVEual.  I will NEVER call myself a homosexual again!!!!!

- Ali Babu Che Johnson

It was a great moment, and I had to share.

And I got to thinking, I want this idea to spread.  I want our conversations to be about LOVE.  I think this can, person by person, help change the world...

To help that happen, I created a new website, homoLOVEual.com, to present the idea, and then let people add their own photos and statements of homoLOVEual identity and/or support.  (Gotta love our allies!)

So please go check out homoLOVEual.com, and let me know what you think.




And if you agree that we should be talking about LOVE, let me know.

I am a HomoLOVEual!  How about you?

Namaste,
Lee

3 comments:

Benji said...

LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

What about homophilic?

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hi Benji - thanks!

and Anonymous July 20, 2012 12:48pm

I like the meaning of "philic" but I'll admit I had to look it up. "love" is pretty universally understood, so I think it has more power. But I love that you're exploring how language can help rather than hinder!

Namaste,
Lee