Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Transgender Punk Rocker Laura Jane Grace of the band AGAINST ME!

Check out this MTV interview with transgender punk rock singer Laura Jane Grace (formerly known as Tom Gabel), who came out this May in an interview in Rolling Stone about her transition.
 


Get More: Music News

I found this video clip in the billboard.com article 20 great gay moments in music.

I love this line:

"I try to make a step, every single day... where I feel like I'm moving myself forward."

and this one, too:

"This is me, if you have a problem with this, get out of my life."

And the Rolling Stone article is fascinating, including bits like this lyric from the song "The Ocean," off AGAINST ME!'s 2007 album, New Wave:

If I could have chosen I would have been born a woman
My mother once told me she would have named me Laura 
 I would grow up to be strong and beautiful like her 
One day I'd find an honest man to make my husband
And how it still took all this time to come out.
How Laura's wife Heather reacted to the news is heart-warming.
And Laura's struggle over how the transition would affect their young daughter, coming to the conclusion:
"And the thing I keep coming back to is that there's no better example I can set as a parent than being true to myself."


It's an inspiring story, and one I had to share.


Namaste,
Lee


No comments: