Friday, February 24, 2012

What Would YOU Do If You Came Upon A Swastika Graffiti?

This story is remarkable.   Barbara Becker and her son were walking in Manhattan (New York, NY, USA) recently and came upon a swastika painted on an advertisement.


The child said,

"The person who did that hates me, and he doesn't even know me."
And then, later, as the parent and child processed and talked about what to do, the child had an idea:

"We could put something good over it," 

and they did just that.



and here's what the child wrote on that heart:


Go read the article - it's remarkable.


The Mom's comments were wise.  We have to talk about it when prejudice and hate of any kind rear their ugliness.  And we must respond every time.

But it's the wisdom of the child will stay with me long after that graffitied advertisement comes down.

"Choose Peace."

Beautiful.

Namaste,
Lee

ps - My thanks to Karol for sharing this story with me, so I could share it with you.

10 comments:

Annie said...

This story gives me so much hope. Even though I'm sure there will always be people who want to spread hate, there are also people who actively want to spread peace.

Loni Edwards said...

Love it. Great post!

Peace :)

Jonathon Arntson said...

Thank you for sharing this article! The actions of the mother and son are the exact ones I want the brave people of our society to take.

Down with apathy!

Alex said...

I grew up seeing swatstikas a lot in Brooklyn, maybe that's why I chose to write a blog about WW II - to choose peace, too. I never thought of it that way, but your post made me rethink things. Interesting!

Heather Kelly said...

I loved it when Barbara said this: "Sometimes a child's internal compass points them to their own true north, and it's best for us adults to get out of their way."

Right on, Barbara, right on! (On all accounts!)

What a fabulous story!

Heather said...

Beautiful. His response is a good example of how speaking out against hatred and bigotry doesn't always need to be a big gesture. It's the little responses, the refusal to stay silent that will make a difference. Thanks for sharing this article.

Julie Hedlund said...

Incredible story. Thank you so much for sharing it. If only all adults were as wise as this child.

maddox said...

Thank you for sharing this article - it is a beautiful message.

Unknown said...

I always say that I wish adults had open minds like children. This story has a wonderful ending and I thank you for sharing it. His words are so simple but hard for most to do. "Choose peace!" Amazing...

Adrian said...

That gave me chills. Perfect. :)