Monday, April 18, 2011

Must Read: John Amaechi Responds to Kobe Bryant's Anti-Gay Slur


Okay, here's what you need to know from the New York Times:

After Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant directed an antigay slur at a referee Tuesday night [April 12, 2011] from the bench in a game against the Phoenix Suns, the N.B.A. fined him $100,000. Bryant has apologized, saying his words should not have been taken literally. He said he would appeal the fine.


Now go check out this amazing response by openly Gay former NBA player John Amaechi.

Bravo, John!

And my thanks to Asako for sharing this with me so I could share it with all of you.

Namaste,
Lee

6 comments:

Ali said...

Hi Lee
Have you seen this? http://blog.mattalgren.com/2011/04/brazil-stadium-turns-pink-after-faggot-chants-shock-community/ I'm British. We have openly gay Rugby players and cricketers, but I won't be holding my breath for any openly gay footballers (soccer)- our most popular sport has a Kick Racism Out Of Football campaign, but no similar campaign for homophobia, and gay slurs are heard all the time from supporters and players.

Ali

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Oh, Ali - what a story!!! Thank you so much for sharing that link. That made my day!
Namaste,
Lee

Prof. Watermelon said...

What a great statement! And thank you for reposting it! Not sure if I would have found this article otherwise!

Prof. Watermelon said...

What a great statement! Thank you for reposting it. I'm not sure if I would have found it otherwise.

Ali said...

It is glorious that a culture seen as macho would do that. I'm really enjoying your blog.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hi Ali,
yes, it IS glorious. And thanks for the kind words!

And Prof. Watermelon,
you're welcome - truly my pleasure.

Namaste,
Lee