Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Something Like Fate - A Teen Romance With A Gay Best Friend And Homophobia Theme


By Susane Colasanti

Lani's best friend is Erin. They've been best friends forever, especially since the accident when Erin pretty much saved Lani's life.

Now they're in High School, and Erin's started to date Jason, this perfect guy. Only thing is, he's the perfect guy... for Lani.

It's like fate, how Lani and Jason are meant to be. And they both feel it. Only... how can Lani do that to her best friend?

Lani's other best friend is Blake, who is secretly gay. Lani knows, but no one else does. And then, word gets out at school, and Blake's kicked out of his home.

It all leaves Lani struggling to figure out friendship, and love... and fate.



Add your review of "Something Like Fate" in comments!

2 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

This book has been on my "I Want!" list for awhile, I may have to break down and buy it soon.

ivanova said...

I just finished this! I was looking for a light-hearted romantic book that had no characters dying of cancer. (Weirdly harder to find than you'd think.) Something LIke Fate was all that and more; I really enjoyed it! It definitely lives up to its appealing, retro cover.

The main character Lani is the kind of girl who thinks a lot about the world and has a lot of interesting ideas, but she's basically upbeat and idealistic. I felt sympathetic for her throughout the book, even when she naively made some poor decisions. One of the themes of the book is fate and whether things are meant to happen, and whether coincidences are really omens. So it made me laugh when coincidences happened while I was reading the book, like Lani listens to a Death Cab For Cutie song and there was a Death Cab for Cutie song playing while I read that.

The romance was very sweet. The characters were all very well-rounded and realistic, although I thought they seemed quite a bit younger than their age (high school juniors and seniors.) I think young teens would enjoy this book. In fact, I think you'd be safe letting your 8-year-old sister read it, because it's very "clean" (as in, no cursing, the characters never drink, do drugs, make out, etc.) For all that, there's plenty of excitement, and some of the kids in the high school are incredibly cruel. At first I was all thinking, "Oh, Lani, why are you so worried what people are going to think of you? It's not that big a deal." Then the plot forcibly reminded me of how a high school can conspire to make one kid's life utter hell.

Blake, the gay best friend, was a great character and I thought his storyline was sensitively and realistically portrayed. There are too many books with a stereotyped gay best friend who has a throwaway plot, and this was a very refreshing change. This is the first book I read by Susane Colasanti. I would describe her as Carolyn Mackler meets Wendy Mass, if that helps at all, and I'm looking forward to reading her other books.