Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jumpstart The World - A Teen Transgender Novel


by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Elle's on her own - at 15 she has to move into her own apartment because her mom's boyfriend can't deal with her.

She meets her neighbor Frank - he's older, and has a girlfriend.

Frank is different than any guy she's ever met. He listens to her. He's gentle. And Elle's falling in love with him.

But then Elle finds out that Frank is transgender.

It changes everything she thought she knew about herself. It changes everything she thought she knew about friendship. It changes everything she thought she knew about the world.

And now Elle has to figure out: Just how powerful is love?


"Jumpstart The World" releases officially today! Check out Daisy Porter's great review of over at Queer YA: Fiction for LGTBQ Teens. And drop in on Catherine's remarkable 26 stop blog book tour!

And of course, please add your review here in comments!

5 comments:

Brent Taylor said...

I LOVED this novel. And Catherine is such a great person. I'm having a character interview with Frank on my blog next month that I'm super pumped for!

ivanova said...

I can't wait to read this one! I just got her other book The Year Of My Miraculous Reappearance out of the library, but it's going to be a while before they get Jumpstart The World.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Brent,
I've certainly heard of authors doing character interviews during the writing process to better understand who their characters are - it's really creative to have a character interview as part of getting the word out about the book already published! Very cool, I can't wait to read it!

Ivanova, the more people request teen GLBTQ books like "Jumpstart The World" from their local libraries, the more they'll be purchased for their collections. You might try inter-library loans to see if that's faster - but I hear you - sometimes it's hard to wait for a new good book!

Namaste,
Lee

Anonymous said...

I put it on hold at the local library. I hope they get it soon. I want to read this book. I love your blog Lee...

Plus being transgendered myself helps at time. I can relate to these sort of books...

Jools

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I think a lot of people should try and get this book somehow...Catherine has amazing work and I'd love to see her and her titles get more recognition.

-lauren