Thursday, August 5, 2010

Prop 8 Decision Comes In, Overturning the Anti-Gay Marriage Prop 8


So the great news broke yesterday

Judge Vaughn R. Walker's conclusion:

"Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. Because California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and lesbians, and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis, the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional.


Of course, questions remain: Will the ruling allow same-sex marriages to resume while the case is inevitably appealed?

And when it is appealed, in two more steps it will most likely go to the U.S. Supreme Court. Who will be on that court, and whether or not that court will rule in favor of the equality of our gay and lesbian marriages we just don't know.

But for this week, my state has once more said that my marriage to my husband is valid and equal.

Liberty and Justice for All included me, my husband, and our child with this ruling.


And that's something to celebrate!



And on a personal note, I gotta shout out,

Hey, husband: I LOVE YOU!

Namaste,
Lee


I found this graphic, and lots of info on celebration rallies nationwide at Rex Wokner's blog.

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Yay! One more step in the right direction.

Anne M Leone said...

Yay! I'm celebrating with you! I'm so thrilled with such a clear and no-nonsense defense of the right for people to marry.

Lisa Nowak said...

You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news. Congratulations!

dining room table said...

Such great news. I know that my friends are going to be happy if they see this good news. They are waiting for this update.