Monday, May 10, 2010

Push - A Teen Novel With A Lesbian Teacher Who Changes Everything


By Sapphire


Precious is 16. She's pregnant by her own father for the second time.

But then she meets Ms. Rain, a teacher (a lesbian teacher), who shows her the power of words... and Precious finds the strength to transform her life.

This is the book that the Oscar-winning movie "Precious" was based on. I blogged about the movie, here, in honor of National Teacher Appreciation Day, but this book deserves its own post, and its own spot on the list of Teen novels with significant GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker Characters.

Add your review of "Push" in comments!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I read Push in a day over the Christmas holidays. It was so powerful.

Anonymous said...

I read Push during one evening several months ago. Couldn't put it down -- such an intense and deeply moving story. Thank you for highlighting Ms. Rain in your post. One of my favorite scenes in the book is when Precious makes a homophobic comment and Ms. Rain says something to the effect of "Well, I guess you don't like ME, then." It's little interactions like this that make people think twice about the attitudes they perpetuate, and I think Sapphire does a wonderful job of capturing that.

You can read my review of the book here: http://readingandrooibos.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/book-review-push-by-sapphire/