Thursday, April 29, 2010

King Of The Screwups - A Teen Novel With A Gay Uncle


By K.L. Going

Liam's the son of a millionaire, and a teenage chick magnet. But everything he does seems to piss his father off more. He screws up one time too many and gets kicked out, and goes to live with his dad's brother Pete, a gay, glam rocker DJ who lives in a trailer in upstate New York.

Liam tries to make himself over as a nerd to win his father's approval, but "Aunt" Pete (and the guys in his band) show Liam there's another way to go...


Thanks to Lucifer (who called it "an amazing story") for the recommendation. Add your review of "King of the Screwups" in comments!

3 comments:

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Lee, I haven't read this one. But I'd read anything by K.L. Going. She's amazing. Here's to an ever-growing reading list!

Anna M said...

My review is up here: http://fadedhat.blogspot.com/2009/08/book-review-king-of-screwups-2009.html

I liked it!

Bibliovore said...

I just read this and LOVED IT. I especially loved that Aunt Pete had some stuff to work out that Liam helped him with.

Sometimes Liam's I-am-crap thing got a little old. But it just showed how pervasive his dad's attitude toward him was. I also loved that he was allowed to want to be a model and loved fashion and still be straight.