Friday, April 17, 2009

Today is The National Day Of Silence. Remembering Carl Walker-Hoover.



The idea is to bring attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools.

I've often wondered if I agree with the premise of "The National Day Of Silence," for I feel that we, as individuals and as the Gay (GLBTQA) community are TOO silent most of the time.

But Today I see silence differently.

Carl Walker-Hoover, an 11 year old in 6th grade in Massachusetts, endured eight months of daily taunting and bullying and threats and slurs and being called "gay" at his school. Last monday, April 6th, 2009, he hung himself. He would have been 12 years old today.

Carl Walker-Hoover

Carl's story reminds us: we still have work to do.

Watch this news report to learn more:



So Today I'm going to have moments where I'll be silent in honor of Carl, and of Eric Mohat, and of Lawrence (Larry) King. I'll be silent to remember all those Teenagers and Kids that didn't make it through the gauntlet of their school years.

And EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR, to honor those same kids, I'm going to be LOUD AS HELL to make sure we change the culture of our world, so schools can be a safe place for every kid to grow up, no matter if they're Gay or Straight.

So join me in moments of silence today.

And join me in CHANGING THE WORLD tomorrow and every day after that!

Namaste,

Lee

6 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

This is so sad.

Every teacher should read this. We desperately need to give schoolkids the message that gay is good to prevent just such tragedies as this.

I'm doing what I can in my own little way but I'm mostly preaching to the choir.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Thanks to JO for this link to this student-made video for The National Day of Silence. Powerful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77GTkW3weJo

Christy Raedeke said...

So sad. What a beautiful child. I understand what you mean about this day of silence - shouldn't it be a day of outrage?

It's terrifying to think his bullies attend a charter school called "New Leadership." Hope this is a huge wake up call to all the faculty and kids at that school. Great post.

THALIA CHALTAS said...

Lee, my 14 year old straight niece is very proudly participating in the Day of Silence today in New Hampshire. She is very involved in the theater and has many gay friends - I am proud of her for showing solidarity despite the crap she will get herself. Not many freshmen participate in her high school!

I took some moments of silence, as well, for some friends of my own.

many peaces,
Thalia

susan said...

Today I'll be silent and then every other day I'll be outraged. Thank you!

susan said...

Doret asked us to link your post for Little Lov'n Monday.