Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Lee Wind Video Newsletter: October 2019

Instead of a regular newsletter, welcome to the launch of this new way to update, inform, and hopefully inspire YOU!



Click here or on the video still above to watch the October 2019 edition of the Lee Wind Video Newsletter. Links and a transcript follow...

[Duration: 3:46]

Transcript

Hi Community – I’m Lee Wind. It’s October 2019, and instead of a regular newsletter, I’m launching this new way to update, inform, and, hopefully inspire YOU. Let’s jump in…

#QUEER HISTORY IS EVERYWHERE

CNN is reporting that the “Lovers of Modena”, this pair of ancient skeletons that were found buried together holding hands, which was really romantic, were actually two guys.

So everyone just assumed, back in 2009, when they found this couple buried, that they were a man and a woman. But scientists tested the enamel on the teeth of both skeletons and discovered a peptide found only in guys. So they actually were two guys!

Which just proves that even in Modena, Italy, back 1,500 or 1,700 years ago, Queer history really is everywhere.

(shout out to Gay Elder Dr. Don Kilhefner for sharing this one in his newsletter!)

LEE WIND AUTHOR UPDATE

I just heard from my editor at Zest/Lerner Books that THE QUEER HISTORY PROJECT: NO WAY, THEY WERE GAY? will be released in May of 2021. I’m really excited, stay tuned for more on that.

READERS SAY

Over on NetGalley, Gloria M. gave Queer as a Five-Dollar Bill 5 out of 5 stars!

She writes, “Wyatt (our MC) has the most insufferable bff known to ya fiction, but all that turns about when he meets a librarian who gives him a book that hey hey shows omg Lincoln may have been gay… The drama can be fun or irritating depending on which way you swing, but I would still recommend the hell out of this gem.”

Thanks, Gloria!


EVENTS

It’s October 2019. On the 19th, I’ll be at Models of Pride in Los Angeles, talking to LGBTQ and Allied Teens about discovering our LGBTQ History.

And then on October 25 and 26 I’ll be down in La Jolla at the La Jolla Writers Conference on faculty doing three talks, wearing both my author hat and my director of marketing and programming for the Independent Book Publishers Association hats, and I hope to see you at one of those!


READING IN, WRITING OUT

This month, I’m really enjoying

ONCE AND FUTURE
By Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy

It’s a retelling of the King Arthur legend, but far in the future, in space, and there’s lots of LGBTQ characters. And the whole culture is really attuned to the fact that there isn’t a gender binary—there are fluids, who they use the ‘they’ pronoun, and it’s just a lot of fun, I’m really having a great time with it.

INSPIRATION

I was listening to the Big Gay Author Podcast by Jeff Adams and Will Knauss, and they shared this amazing quote from Toni Morrison, who just passed away, and it was so inspiring, so I want to share it with you…

In a book called “Keep Going” by Austin Kleon, which was all about staying creative and positive in the difficult times we’re living in, Toni Morrison said, “This is precisely the time when artists go to work. There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. That is how civilizations heal. I know the world is bruised and bleeding, and though it is important not to ignore its pain, it is also critical to refuse to succumb to its malevolence. Like failure, chaos contains information that can lead to knowledge—even wisdom. Like art.”

Thank you, Toni.

Want more? Check out I’M HERE. I’M QUEER. WHAT THE HELL DO I READ? at leewind.org

Until then,

The light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in you.

Thanks!

No comments: