Friday, April 14, 2017

"The root of oppression is the loss of memory." - Paula Gunn Allen

I've been thinking a lot about this quote from the wonderful Lesbian Native American poet Paula Gunn Allen.

And I think we're seeing this in action today, from Trump spokesman Sean Spicer's inane comment about how "Hitler who didn't even sink to using chemical weapons" (excuse me? What about the millions of Jews and others who died in Nazi gas chambers -- including members of my family?) to this week's reports of 100 gay men being rounded up and sent to "camps" in the Chechen Republic of Russia where they are being tortured and beaten (Sounds like concentration camps to me), to this crazy uptick in bomb threats to Jewish community centers here in the U.S. (more than 100 in the first two months of 2017.)

We need to remember the past to not allow it to repeat.

And we need to call falsehoods as such.



OUT magazine has six things we can all do to help stop what's happening in Chechnya.

Raise your voice with mine: We remember. And we will not accept our world going backwards to the horrors of the Holocaust.

The light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in you,
Lee

No comments: