Friday, April 15, 2016

So Many Flowers, and Dragonflies - Thoughts on the Day of Silence

Yesterday I went for a short hike.

Some of the flowers I've been seeing

It's been raining a bit more than usual, and the Santa Monica Mountains where I normally go are blooming with Spring. I've been noticing all the flowers, and taking lots of photos, but this time, what I noticed were how many different kinds and colors of butterflies and dragonflies were enjoying all the flowers, too.

In less than a half-hour I saw three different kinds of dragonflies: some were orange-rust, others electric blue, and one seemed like liquid silver.

And it reminded me of this great point Jennifer Bryan made:

We celebrate diversity in nature so easily.

We need to get to where we're doing that same thing with other human beings, too.

So today, let's be thoughtful. Let's use the power of silence to bring attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. And then, every other day of the year, let's raise our voices to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior!

You can find our more about the Day of Silence here.

Thanks for joining with me,
Lee

No comments: