Friday, May 17, 2013

W.N.B.A. Top Draft Pick Brittney Griner's Awesome Coming Out Essay (And "It Gets Better Video")

Brittney Griner, photo from NY Times, Matt York/Associated Press

Brittney Griner, a senior at Baylor University, was the top selection in the W.N.B.A. draft, and will be playing for the Phoenix Mercury. She won the Naismith Trophy as the outstanding women’s basketball player in 2012 and 2013. Last week, she wrote this essay that was published in the New York Times.

It includes these profound words:

It’s taken me a long time to figure out exactly where I fit. During that journey, I realized that everyone has a unique place in this world. I also discovered that the more open I was with my family and friends, the more I embraced others, and the more committed I became to doing the things I love, like basketball, skating and, of course, eating bacon (the greatest food of all time), the more love and confidence I received in return.

I just had to hang in there and be myself.


Hurray for Brittney! You are a light.

And here's Brittney's "It Gets Better" Video:



No comments: