Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Announcing Our First Summer Intern, Hannah, and The GLBTQ Teen Short Story Bookshelf!


Hey Guys!
My name is Hannah and I'm helping out Lee this summer with the GLBTQ Teen Short Story Bookshelf. I'm a senior in high school and I live in California. Though I am not gay, homosexuality has always been a huge part of my life because of close and family friends. I decided to do this project because I am obsessed with books, as I'm sure many of you are too. We know that summer is a busy time, what with camps, jobs, and just being out in the sun, which is why short stories are so perfect. They are a great read for when you are on the run. I'm so excited for this summer and to start reviewing these awesome anthologies. I've put together a great list of books; some of them are entirely devoted to homosexuality while others have only a few stories with queer content. Every week we will be posting two or three new anthologies and summarizing the stories in them that have GLBTQ content. If you have any suggestions for additional anthologies that should be included because they are so great please let me know in the comments!
xoxo
Hannah

1. How They Met, and Other Stories by David Levithan

2. Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories by Sandra McDonald

3. grl2grl: short fictions by Julie Anne Peters

4. So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction edited by Steve Berman

5. Growing Up Gay/Growing up Lesbian edited by Bennett L Singer

6. Queer 13: Lesbian and Gay Writers Recall Seventh Grade edited by Clifford Chase

7. Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher

8. Love and Sex, Ten Stories of Truth edited by Michael Cart

9. Full Spectrum: A New Generation of Writing about Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and other Identities edited by David Levithan and Billy Merrell

11. Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens edited by Jane Summer

12. Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress and Hope, 1950 to the Present by Nancy Garden

13. How Beautiful the Ordinary edited by Michael Cart

14. Am I Blue? Coming Out from the Silence edited by Marion Dane Bauer

15. We’ll always Have Paris by Ray Bradbury

4 comments:

ivanova said...

Hi Hannah, nice to meet you! This idea sounds great! I have read Queer 13 and Am I Blue and enjoyed them both, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the other anthologies. Anthologies that had a big impact on me when I was a teenager long long ago were _One Teenager in Ten_ and its sequel _Two In Twenty_. Those are my suggestions; I am curious if they stand the test of time!

And, Lee, congratulations on having an intern. That is the mark of a serious VIP, even more so than your own parking spot or a corner office.

Nora

Steph said...

You should add "The Poison Eaters" by Holly Black. Two or three of the stories have gay characters, and it's Holly Black so they're all amazing anyway!

Heidi Rabinowitz said...

A blogging summer intern - what a great idea! I never thought of doing that, but maybe I'll steal this idea. I do have a Canadian Correspondent (a friend who lives in Toronto sometimes records interviews for me), but an intern ... wow.

Kristen O'Toole said...

Hannah, this is so awesome. I wish I'd known you were doing this before today! I read A I Blue a zillion years ago (big Francesca Lia Block fan here). Good luck with the rest of your summer.