Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Brother Has AIDS


By Deborah Davis

13 year old Lacy is an avid swimmer, but her life is turned upside-down when her 25 year old brother Jack comes home sick... with AIDS.

Their parents want Lacy to keep Jack's illness (and gayness) a secret, and just live her life like nothing's wrong. But watching her brother get worse and worse makes everything feel wrong, and Lacy can't stay silent anymore.

One of the first YA novels to deal with AIDS, Deborah published this in 1984.

Check out this very moving "behind the story" post on Deborah's website, delving into her process and emotions around writing this book!

Add your review of this book in "comments!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, is it really tacky for the author of the book just plugged to comment? Well, here I am, writing from India, where a lot of things just don't make sense but add up to some kind of surreal whole. Oy vay, I sound like I'm on drugs. I'm not, but I did spend a lot of hours on a train today. Thanks for the plug, Lee. I wonder sometimes how I'd write the book if I did it today. I read it a couple of years ago to my son (he was twelve and still letting me read to him at night, so great!) and he liked it a lot. I'd forgotten how much humor is in the book--we laughed a bunch of times.

Keep up the great blog!

Deborah